Thursday, January 1, 2009

Merry Chrismukkah and Happy New Year



Sorry it has been so long since our last post. We've just been busy with holidays: Hanukkah, Christmas and New Years.

On Dec. 20, the three of us had our first Hanukkah dinner together. I tried to be a good pseudo Jewish wife, making pot roast, latkes, veggies and noodle kugel for our feast. I felt very Betty Draper by making a multi-course meal, as opposed to my usual one-bowl specials. We lit a menorah, too.

While looking for a menorah, I found a funny toy for Austin: a Hanukkah duck!



After dinner, we unwrapped our California presents. Austin was excited just to see presents.



He got some big toys from Noni and Aunt Alison, as well as some little things from California people.



Even with so many cool toys, he was pretty happy with boxes, stuffing and bubble wrap.

On Dec. 23, we took a long drive to Tucson, where we spent Christmas with the Tully family. It took us about 10 hours to complete the usual 8 hour journey. Austin was pretty good most of the way, taking three naps. But he got pretty squirmy once it got dark.

We started Christmas Day at Grandma and Grandpa's house with a nice breakfast, the usual sweet bread, eggs and grapefruit. Grandpa let Austin play with his spoon before they ate.



After, we headed to Great Grandma Richardson's house to spend time with Grandma's side of the family.

Austin reunited with cousin Elliott, who is six weeks younger than him.

We got a four-generations photo with Great Grandma, two daughters (the grandmas), three granddaughters (the moms) and all five great-grandkids.

Then it was tamale time. We drove out to the house of Aunt Diane and Uncle Dale, who hosted the annual Tully tamale Christmas party this year. Austin got to meet some animals, including Shadow.

And their horses.

He really liked them, but squinted when one got too close.

For the first time, Austin met cousin Katelyn, who is six months older than him. Someone else was holding Katelyn, but she lunged for me. Somehow, I ended up holding both babies. I'm smiling, but I'm really thinking, "Please, someone, take a baby!"

The funny thing is, the weight was pretty well distributed. Turns out, Katelyn weighs about the same as chunky Austin.

We left a little bit early so Austin could get a second nap after such a busy day. We still had presents to open at home with his grandparents and aunts, Karen and Laura.

Austin was ready for more.



He liked opening lots and lots of presents.



Aunt Karen bought him bear slippers and mittens.



There was one last holiday to celebrate when we returned home to California. Obviously, Michael and I weren't going out for New Years. So, I bought some noise makers and hats for the occasion. Austin's smiling at Michael's hat, even if you can't see it well.



Happy New Year!

2 comments:

eat.write.love said...

Hey Lev's,

Austin is really, really adorable. I'm totally smitten by his big blue eyes and big grin.

Cindy

Like Water said...

Oh my gosh, Sarah. Austin looks just like you! He's so darn cute! It looks like you had a great holiday.

Happy New Year!

Charis and Family